Thursday, March 3, 2011

Krafts With Katie

Since I am all about the bling, I thought I would share with you my latest obsession.  Over the top blinged out DIY phone cases!  I first came across this idea when I found Lux Addiction.  They sell dazzeled phone cases for around $80, but I am going to show you how to make your own for under $30!  These cases range from gems and rhinestones, flowers and bows.  You can get these things from your local craft store, but I have found that there are many sellers online that sell all types of little things to add to your phone.  I purchased my items from a seller at Etsy




WHAT YOU WILL NEED.


1. A CLEAR PHONE CASE (THAT FITS YOUR PHONE)

2. CRAFT GLUE (E-6000 IS THE BEST)

3. A TOOTHPICK OR HAIR PIN AND STICKY TACK.

4. A PAPER PLATE TO SET YOUR GLUE ON (IT GETS MESSY)

5. AND OF COURSE ALL OF YOUR BLING TO ADD TO YOUR PHONE!




First lay out all of your big peices and decide where you want everything to go before you start gluing!  Try to leave the spots for the larger items clear of gems.  You want to glue the larger items right onto the phone case.  They will stick better, rather than gluing them on top of the gems.

Start at the bottom and work your way up, it seems to work the best.  Lay out your gems with the flat backs down, this will make them easier to grab.  Now here is where the toothpick and sticky tack come into play.  Apply a piece of sticky tack to the end of your toothpick or hair pin.  This is going to be your magic tool to applying the gems to your phone (Picture bellow) Use the tacky end to pick up the gems and place them onto the area with glue.  The glue doesn't dry super fast so you have time to move the gems around if you mess up. 


After you have applied all of your bling, let it dry overnight.  This is strong glue, so let it sit and set.

Here are the two that I have made so far.  
 This one above is just a back case, the pink case has a front and back.  You can do any kind of case that you want!
And that is basically it!  It's super simple, and rather cheap if you buy from the right places.  I haven't spent more than $30 tops on both cases.  It takes about 600 small gems to cover one phone case give or take, just FYI.  I get asked about them all the time.  So make your own originalcase and your phone will be on everyone's "want" list!  

Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...